Monday, June 27, 2005

What makes us happy?

I'm going to be honest when I say I haven't been restless the past year. My heart wanted to go in a million directions, none of which were where God wanted me to be. The feeling that something was missing loomed in my heart, not to be shaken by boyfriends or new jobs.

Learning to love God with your whole heart is hard, because it means giving up yourself-your hopes, your dreams, and ultimately your desires. Leaving yourself behind for the sake of the creator is a scary scary thing. Our flesh wants to hold on to what we think our hearts want. What we ultimately want is to be happy. I pose the question then, what makes us happy?

Giving up your desires is hard, but once we surrender-not submit-but trully surrend our lives to God, our desires become God's desires. We haven't lost our desires as much as gained the desires of God-the things God wants most for our lives. Fulfilling Gods desires for our lives can only bring one thing-happiness-and happiness and contentment go hand in hand.

I have never been more content with where I am in this life. God has trully blessed me with a peace beyond understanding. All I had to do was let go.

No comments: