Sunday, March 05, 2006

putting your money where your mouth is

Ninety-one million. Not quit the number of stars in the sky or grains of sand on the beach, but it is the number of registered Instant Messanger users as of 2004, according to America Online.

That's a lot of people. A wooping 70% of American internet users say they use instant messanger. The gentle cling of the IM alert and the orange blinking indicator of the IM box are well know in today's culture.

"You've got mail" has been replaced by the glow of our buddy lists. We have full conversations, heck full relationships, within the confinds of our living rooms-over the internet. What happened to body language? The tone in a persons voice?

When did we decide it was ok to have contrived, semi-personal, mediocer relationships with each other? I'd be lying to say I haven't been the perpetrator of such relationships. My last relationship was, in fact, started on the internet and continued in part by IM. I have done it. I still do it. I'm too afraid to pick up the phone and call, so I take the easy, passive way out and send an IM.

Messaging is, albeit, convenient for a generation glued to their computers, but I'm tired of mediocer relationships. I want authenticity. I want genuine conversation. I want to hear my friends laugh, cry, be joyful, be angry. There is something to be said about a good conversation about what's on your heart.

I've decided to put my money where my mouth is. I'm giving up Instant Messanger for lent. I'm going to chronicle my time post IM. Days-ohne-IM, if you will (if you speak German you may catch the cleaverness in the title).

I'm excited to see where God takes me on this journey. Till I see you again, keep it semi-real, get into some trouble, and know that I love you...and your family.

No comments: